Friday, November 16, 2012

It Must Be Magic

So I've been looking for a new British import to fall in love with while I wait for Doctor Who and Downton Abbey to return.

My search led me to the show Merlin. It's BBC's attempt make Arthurian legend palatable for family viewing. So a lot of the story lines are diluted and dumbed down so as not to shock young children who might be watching. For example, in the show Morgana is not Arthur's sister. She's just a ward of Uther's. And Guinevere starts off as Morgana's maid. Now, I'm no expert at Arthurian legend, but I'm pretty sure that's not how it usually goes.

I want to like this show. I really do. It's entertaining enough. But there's just something about it. I'm having a very difficult time getting into it. The dialogue leaves much to be desired. The individual plots are questionable. Honestly, right now the best part of the show are the costumes. The budget for the capes alone must be outrageous. But they are fantastic.



1 comment:

  1. Can't forget Misfits! I've not yet watched this season's episodes. I'm worried about them actually; too many of my favorite characters are gone. It's possible though, that I'll stick to it just for the accents and proper English slang.

    ReplyDelete