Thursday, November 8, 2012

He's a Magic Man

Last night I watched Conan. I don't watch his show regularly. Only when there's nothing else that catches my attention do let him entertain me. But last night was special. The glorious Russell Brand was a guest. And as Conan pointed out several times during the show, Russel Brand is magical.

That man has a gift with words. He can go on and on, using the most eloquent language to say the dirtiest things. He has a magnificent way of talking (and the most delightful accent). But his jokes are often disgusting and offensive. This is why I love him. It is this apparent contradiction that makes him so appealing. The man is a paradox. One of the few memoirs I have ever read was his book, My Booky Wook. Amazing book. Extremely entertaining. Didn't get to finish it though. I borrowed it from the library through an inter-library loan program and I never took the time to check it out again. But I still plan on finishing it. Eventually. His use of the English language is just resplendent. He uses the most beautiful words to say the filthiest things. How can you not just love that? People think that just because he does and says outrageous things it means he's daft (love that word; needs to be used more in American lexicon) but he's not. He's actually pretty damn intelligent.

The way he moves reminds me of the stage actors in the olden days. Grand gestures; exaggerated facial expressions; graceful, fluttering movements as he dances across the floor. And he never sits still. In fact he never sits in a chair the proper way for very long. He's so whimsical and brilliant. All the things he does add up to make him extremely entertaining to listen to and watch. He is enchanting.



No comments:

Post a Comment