Sunday, December 16, 2012

Universally Acknowledged

my Austen collection
...for now
Getting this one in just under the wire.


For today is December 16, the birthday of one of my favorite authors: Jane Austen.


And that's really all I have to say about that for the moment.



So I'll just leave you with a few of my favorite Jane Austen quotes.

“The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.”

“I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.”

“I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.”
“Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion.”
 “There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.” 
“Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings.”
“In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”

I dearly love this woman's books. I don't care what Mark Twain has to say about them.



No comments:

Post a Comment