Monday, February 28, 2011

Paper Supply

I cannot study for an exam off a screen. I remember things better if I see them on a piece of paper as opposed to on a screen. I can shift through long paragraphs and find what I need with more ease if I am holding a physical copy of the article or story instead of scrolling down on a screen.  
That being said, the eco-warrior in me resists wasting endless reams of paper just so I can better study for an exam. But I usually do it anyway. At this point in my life my need to get a better grade on an exam trumps my need to save the world from global warming. Is this selfish? Perhaps a bit. But my impact seems so small, the guilt over wasting precious resources doesn’t last long and I go on to print again.
I try to always print responsibly though. Unless it's a paper for a class that has specific format requirements of course. I adjust the margins, the font size and I print front to back. I go through what I want before I print and cut out the information I know I won't need. I try to keep my carbon footprint as small as possible whenever possible. 
One would think I would be more accustomed to reading off a screen. I grew up with computers and most of my days are spent looking at one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment