Monday, March 14, 2011

Poetry and Yogurt

Plain was the same as it ever was the same.
Plainly plain…
Samely same…
But then…someone lit the flame.
Plain rode away on lion’s mane.
Where plain met fruits with strangely names.
Such wonderful things they did contain.
A shot of life to a hungry vein.
The captive beast who broke the chain.
And there upon that fruited plane,
is where plain became what plain became.
So much more than more than plain. 
Plain will never be the same.

It’s a beautiful poem. And it’s about yogurt! The first time I saw this commercial I was captivated by it. The poem was beautiful and the images that went along with it were as well. It is by far the best commercial I have seen in a long time. Who would have guessed that advertisers could be so creative?
Ad after ad on TV seems to scream at people, telling them to by their product. This commercial for Fage Yogurt offers a different approach. Is it any better? I haven’t the slightest idea. I do know that it took me three times of seeing it on TV for me to actually catch what it was selling. I was too distracted by how striking it was to pay attention to the advertisement part of it. However, I am now very intrigued by this brand of yogurt, and I never would have guess that one could ever be intrigued by yogurt. So did the advertisers win?
Do I now want to try this yogurt? Perhaps a bit. Am I any more likely to actually buy this brand of yogurt? Probably not. I’m a Yoplait person.

1 comment:

  1. I have seen this commercial before too! And I actually thought of our class right away too! It was very beautiful and very well done! It definitely got my attention and makes me interested in the product too!

    ReplyDelete