Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Notes and Margin Doodles

I have no idea how I ever survived high school. I'm not talking about the social aspects of it. That is an entirely different story. I'm talking about the work. (not that surviving peer pressure isn't hard work) I'm talking about the day to day. I'm talking about sitting in a classroom, listening to the teacher talk, taking notes, all without a computer sitting in front of me. I don't know how it was for everyone else, but at my high school we had block scheduling. Thus, each class was an hour and half long. Everyday. At the time, I loved it. I only had four classes a day each semester. But how did I pass the time? I remember I doodled quite a bit in my notes. I remember staring out of a lot of windows. But now that I've grown so used to having the Internet at my finger tips at all times, I do not think I could do it again.
I was watching a movie from the early 2000's the other day. In it some high schoolers got caught passing notes to each other in class. I remember the days when that was our only means of communication during a particularly doldrum day of learning. How much money did my parents spend on notebooks and pencils only to have them used in such a fashion? In high school, texting erased the need to pass paper notes. Though it was perhaps easier to get caught texting than it was in passing a piece of paper. Now we access Skype, IM, Facebook and a host of other means of instant communication twenty-four hours a day. Who needs paper?
If for some reason I had to go back, I am quite sure I would go crazy.

1 comment:

  1. We didn't have many computers in our high school either .. just access to the computer lab. I wasn't introduced to internet until shortly after graduating high school. I don't know how it was possible to be content on sitting in a classroom, doodling on paper, looking out the windows either. Since the internet, I guess we've all become quite spoiled it seems.

    ReplyDelete