Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Fine Line of Forgiveness

My good opinion once lost is lost forever
- Mr. Darcy
I'm afraid I might have more in common with the hero of Pride and Prejudice that just a dislike for public dancing. I've always claimed that I don't hold grudges. But if I'm honest with myself I know that's not entirely  true. Forgiving and forgetting is not as easy as I once thought it was.

When someone hurts me it usually doesn't take me long to forgive them. I know that people make mistakes. And more often than not the hurt inflicted is unintentional. I pride myself on being able to see all sides of an issue. I may not fully sympathize with all sides, but at least I can see where people are coming from. It makes so much easier to forgive when you understand the other party's motives.

It's the forgetting part that I have difficulty with. Whatever they've done, it sticks to them. They've become tainted. I'm unable to see them the way I once did. I may forgive them, but that doesn't mean I have to go on liking them. I don't hate them. I don't resent them. I just no longer like them. It's very difficult to move on and truly forget the hurt someone's caused you.

I have done it before. I'm sure I'll be able to do it again. Time heals all or whatever. But more often than not, once someone has done something to alter my opinion of them, it doesn't change back.



No comments:

Post a Comment