Sunday, October 9, 2011

Owl Cupcakes and Pumped Up Kicks

There is one thing I have wanted every year for my birthday. It's not something one can ask for though. It would defeat the purpose of the entire thing. Yes, the one thing that I have always wanted is a surprise party. And this year, the 21st year of our dear Jamie, my fondest wish was granted.
It was a Wednesday so I was not expecting a party at all. Everyone was busy with homework, work, and other things. I was planning on a quiet evening watching a movie with my best friends Molly and Martha. This is what I had been lead to believe.
When I walked into the room, my two friends quickly directed my attention to the table which held the most beautiful birthday cake (though it really wasn't a cake) I had ever seen:

They were owls! I loved them so much! 
But they were just a diversion. As soon as my attention was fixed on them, my friend shouted the code word, "Monkey Slut!" (if you don't understand reference, that's ok. I did and that's what counted.) And suddenly, people appeared from under desks, behind curtains, and out of closets. I screamed like a little girl. Partly out of shock but mostly out of joy. Joy that I had finally been given a surprise party.
And then we ate owls and danced to Foster the People. It was an epic night and I loved every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment