Monday, July 2, 2012

Super


I've been thinking about superheroes. More specifically, what kind of superpowers I would like to have if I were to become a superhero. I've narrowed it down to two.
One option is telekinesis because A) I’m kinda lazy and B) that one scene in Matilda when she’s dancing around in the living room and making all the cards and poker chips fly around…I’ve always wanted to do that.
Otherwise I'd pick time control. But I wouldn't want to go back and change anything. I've read my Ray Bradbury. I ain't stepping on no butterfly and bringing back the dinosaurs. I would just want to go back and watch history happen. I’d probably start with ancient Greece. Because those guys kind of invented western civilization. It'd be kinda cool to see how they worked that out. But I wouldn't want my presence to change history. I’d still like to interact with the world and ask people questions. How cool would it be to have dinner with Mark Twain or Leonardo da Vinci? Of course then I'd need to learn Italian... Maybe I should just get a TARDIS. Problem solved.
Oh! I'd also like to freeze time and maybe mess with people a little. Stop everything and move some things around. Of course I wouldn't be too villainous. I would use my powers for good and only minimal personal gain.
I don't think I'd want to be able to travel into the future though. Obviously it would be the most profitable part of time travel. You just pop forward a bit, see the winning lotto numbers and bam! Pay dirt. But if I were to foresee a tragedy I would feel compelled to stop it. And I feel like that would messing with fate a bit too much.
What then would my superhero name be? Well that would depend on what power I had. That's how most of them get their names anyway. Like The Green Lantern has his green lantern. And Iron Man has his iron suit. Batman has his whole bat thing. And Spider-Man, and so on and so forth.
Then what about Superman? Eh. I feel like naming him Superman was kind lazy, you know? But he was one of the first superheroes so I guess that’s okay then. Mr. Fantastic, however, has no excuse. But then again, what would you name a superhero with elastic limbs and not have it sound completely lame? Or sexual? You could call him Rubber Man. That’d be kinky.
But just consider the X-Men. Wolverine. He looks like a wolverine with his claws and his funky hairdo. Storm with her whole weather thing. Cyclops with his special eyes. Magneto, Beast, Iceman. They make sense. The only one I never understood was Rogue. But again, what would you name someone with the power to drain others of their powers? Drain-o Girl? I bet you’d love to have her clean your pipes.

Keep in mind, dear reader, that I’m just going off the movies. I adore superhero movies. I never got into the actual comic books. How could I? It wasn’t like there were any local comic book stores I could just walk to on a Saturday afternoon. So where I would I get them? I did watch some of the cartoons. I remember watching Batman, Spider-Man and the X-Men when I was a kid. Grew out of that pretty quickly though. But this trend of over-the-top superhero movies? I love it. I'm just dying to see The Avengers and I cannot wait for The Dark Knight Rises. The latest Spider-Man reboot, however, I can take or leave. The trailers don't look too promising to me. So I'll most likely leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment